So I think I found my favorite Photoshop filter.
Check out these psychedelic images I created recently. (click to enlarge images)
Now I know what you’re probably thinking. “Why on Earth is the name of this post Shplewph?”
That’s a great question. I was actually wondering the same thing myself.
But some of you may also be wondering how I went about creating these images.
Before I explain, check out the originals. These spots may look familiar to those of you in the Fredonia area.
So you wanna learn how to create your own shplewphs, huh?
It’s actually quite easy! Here’s how you do it:
- Start with a dynamic photo that has a bunch of repeating lines
- Open the image in Photoshop
- Go to Filter > Distort > Wave
- Get funky with it
(optional) If you want the additional color effect:
- Convert the image to black & white
- Create a new layer with a rectangle covering the entire image
- Move the rectangle layer below the original image
- Turn the opacity of the original image down to 80%-90%
- Add a gradient overlay to the rectangle layer using the colors of your choice
- Flatten the image and adjust the exposure & vibrance
Have fun shplewphing!
Think you have a shplewph worth sharing? Throw it in the comments section!